MA European History
The Joint Master Course “Master in European History (MEH)“ is based on the initiative of UNICA - Network of Universities from the Capitals of Europe. It is a stimulating interdisciplinary, comparative Master' programme offered by a consortium of 9 universities situated in 8 major European capitals. The full-time programme consists of four semesters, during which students study at up to two or three of the programme's partner universities.
Graduates of the MEH will be awarded the title „Master of Arts“ (M.A.) with a common certificate by partner universities the student studied at. The awarding institutions are the first semester (home) university and the host university/ universities - only in case that both universities are full members of the consortium. It is compulsory for the students to study at least one semester (30 ECTS credits) at a partner university of the programme. The students will be awarded a Joint Degree if they have studied at least one semester at a full member partner university. If the students spend one semester at an associated member they will obtain a simple HU degree. It is additionally possible for the students admitted at Humboldt University, to spend an exchange semester at one of our many Erasmus-partner universities.
The Joint MA in European History is particularly suited for students interested in pursuing an internationally mobile career. This diverse programme focuses on comparative analysis of European history. It will help to strengthen the European mobility and the knowledge of foreign languages, and it will offer the opportunity to gain intercultural experiences.
The degree qualifies the holder in research, writing, and analytical skills that can be used for a broad range of careers, e.g. in education, journalism, finance, governance and the cultural sector. It also offers an excellent basis for students interested in going on to a PhD in History or similar disciplines.
In principle, English is the language of instruction and will be accepted at all partner universities for presentations, assignment and the Master thesis. The partner universities offer modules in English for at least 30 ECTS as a core programme per semester, complemented by courses or modules in other languages (e.g. language of the host university).
Students can choose Modules from the core themes of the degree:
- Social and Economic History of Europe, Urbanisation and Industrialisation
- Cultural History, History of Religions, History of Science
- History of Dictatorships, Violence and Conflicts
- Colonialism and Post-Colonialism
- Imperial Histories and Nation-Building
- Migration, International and Transcultural Relationships
Study and Examination Regulations:
Study and Examination Regulations 2014 (incl. module descriptions in English and German)
The partner universities
- Humboldt Universität zu Berlin
- Université Paris Diderot (Paris 7)
- University College Dublin
- Università Roma Tre
- Università Roma Tor Vergata
- King's College London (KCL leaves the program in summer 2018)
- Universität Wien
- Tallinn University
- Universidad Complutense Madrid
- University of Belgrade
- University of Sarajevo
Application period for the winter semester 2017/2018: 1st of May–31st of May 2017
Required language proficiency: English C1, another modern language B2, German A2
How to apply:
--> Online application for german applicants here
--> Online application for international applicants here
Humboldt University students have to pay 307,09 Euro each semester. This fee includes the student ticket for public transport in Berlin.
Prof. Dr. Michael Wildt: firstname.lastname@example.org
Prof. Dr. Xenia von Tippelskirch: email@example.com
Maleen Harten: firstname.lastname@example.org
Consultation hours: Thursday 10-12 am
No consultation hours on March 30th, 6th of April and 14th of April
+4930 2093 70535
Facebook group for European History students: https://www.facebook.com/groups/867562003371102/
Study in Berlin
General information about exchange semesters and internships abroad at the HU Berlin
- General information for students--> International Office
- Information for History Students --> Erasmus Office
Special Programmes for international students:
- Berlin Perspectives- International Study Module
- Famos Connect- Das Fachmentorenprogramm für internationale Studierende
- Mentorenprogramm Studis4studis
- German courses at the "Sprachenzentrum"
- "Sprachbörse" (Language exchange agency) at Orbis Humboldtianus, Humboldt University
- "Tandemvermittlung" (Language exchange agency) at the language centre, Humboldt University
- "Tandembörse" for History students only --> Please write an e-mail to email@example.com