Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin - Department of History

Language skills and certificates

For an Erasmus stay, sufficient language skills are required for the academic project to succeed.


The proof of language proficiency must be provided for the language of the university or universities of your choice. If, for example, instruction is given exclusively or to a sufficient extent in English, although this is not the national language, proof of English is sufficient even if it is strongly recommended to learn the relevant national language as well.


According to the guidelines of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR), the language level must be at least B2.


Acceptable proofs include:

  • Certificates of the Language Centre (HU Language Certificate)
  • DAAD Language Certificates
  • Unicert II and higher
  • Cambridge Certificate
  • The intermediate language practice examination in the corresponding degree programme (e.g. for BA/MA History and English/French/Spanish with teacher training option) which has been passed with at least ‘satisfactory.’


Language tests can be taken at the Language Centre of Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin. The certificate should not be older than two years. More information about language certificates can be found on the website of the Language Centre.

PLEASE contact the Language Centre as early as possible for an appointment, as slots are quickly booked during the application periods!


A-Level (Abiturzeugnis) certificates are insufficient!